Winton Pottery is situated in the stables building of Winton Castle. The stables buildings were built around 1840, built of a beautiful iron-spattered sandstone (quarried locally and possibly as much 350 million years old).
The Stables cottages; the pottery is through the central archway
Ceramics were first produced here at the beginning of the 1970's: Marg Hall began full production some years later and has continued ever since, producing a range of domestic and decorative wares much sought after by at least two generations of customers.
The space retains many of the original features including iron-framed timber stalls, ceramic wall-tiles and various items of equipment and fittings. The stalls themselves form convenient divisions of the space into areas for the kiln, for throwing and for display.